St. Turibius Chapel Mural, Columbus, Ohio
St. Turibius Chapel is situated within a historical pontifical college campus and serves those pursuing priesthood as a vocation. This project is part of a large, on-going renovation that included refinishing woodwork, floors, sacred elements and illumination of the apse wall.
The Rector and Chapel committee had sought to recreate the original mural as it is an expression of the importance and revelation of beauty in sacred architecture. The original sanctuary mural was created by German immigrant artist Gerhard Lamers and was completed in 1937. During the 1988 renovation, the mural was covered with gray latex paint in effort of austerity by the Church and subsequently destroyed. This current renovation allowed for a recreation of the mural based on original photographs. A newly designed baldacchino was constructed. The lighting design for the mural, tabernacle and baldacchino recognizes the beautification effort and power of the space in enlightening worshipers within the Sanctuary.
A sense of stewardship to the environment is important to the college. To meet this goal, all new luminaires are energy efficient, long-life LED, ensuring minimal energy consumption. Luminaires were specified with a 3000K color temperature to maintain a feeling of warmth, as well as balance the incoming daylight from the stained glass windows. Lighting was tied into the existing dimming system, paying careful attention that the 0-10v dimming protocol could easily be controlled to a 1% dimmed level for varied worship services. As with most liturgical projects, the budget was tight, however, the carefully thought-out design was able to meet the client goals within the limited amount.